Saturday 24 May 2014

*first post* *DIY* UPCYCLED VINTAGE MIRROR

To start off my blog I thought I'd show you how you can completely reinvent something to give it a new life and a purpose for you. I've been looking for a mirror for my dressing table for ages as I wanted one that had my 'FUNK-CLECTIC' style and while wondering through a vintage fair and spotted this gem! It was marked at just £25 but my Dad can't resist haggling and we got it for £20!

I don't know why but I instantly decided to paint it yellow even though I have no yellow in my room (yet!) but it's been a colour that's quickly becoming my favourite. So here is how I upcycled my new old friend.


First you'll need to pick up some spray paints from any home improvement shop (B&Q/Homebase - UK) and some masking tape to cover the parts you aren't painting. Make sure you get a surface primer (white can) so that the colour can be more solid on the object your painting. I think the paints were around £6.50 each but I needed 2 of the colour so it depends what you are painting.

I cleaned up my mirror to get rid of any dirt before I painted it (make sure that washing it won't ruin it though)

Now it's time to mask up all of the areas you don't want to paint. Take your time to make sure you cover ever bit as the paint seeps down the sides and into every nook and cranny. Also the back of my mirror was made of wood which I didn't cover as my paint was SUPPOSED to work on wood and it came out quite sloppy so if you can cover the wood then I strongly recommend it.

Sit the mirror on top of a can of beans to stop it from sticking to the paper. Paint it with a layer of the primer and let it dry completely before touching it or turning it over.

Follow the same steps when you are ready for the colour. I did 3 layers because yellow is quite a light  colour but you'll know when you have done enough layers. Wait until it is completely dry before you put the parts together.

and there we go...
a completely unique item personal to you


Good Luck with yours!
Send me some photos of yours if you've done it

Love you, bye!

Ali
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Virtual speech bubble!